Thursday, February 05, 2009

Camping with Aleisha

Aleisha and I went camping at a "Women in the Wilderness" event a few weeks ago. I think it's taken me this long to memorialize the occasion due to post-traumatic stress disorder. I have to admit though we did have a fantastic time during the day and evening.
'Beading for the Soul' when we got there was really creative and the girls we were with were just so diverse and amazing. I am so proud of my mobile creation and Aleisha's was absolutely beautiful. The campfire experience at night was really powerful too. There were about 15 of us and we ate, drank sangria and shared stories while we burned what was left of Debbie's Xmas tree on the campfire. It was an experience I will never forget and I'm so glad I got to share such a special evening with Aleisha.
The night was another experience altogether... At first, when we got all set up, we couldn't stop laughing. At about 10pm it all seemed so promising! Even though there was no running water and it was cold - really cold (yes it has been cold in Florida this year and we are not imagining things) we managed to make fire and everything. (Back at the house, Mike was having a party with Mum and Dad and the Simards. They took bets on what time I'd duck out and arrive back at home. My own child had 8:30pm and no one had later than 11:30pm! What they didn't know was that the park ranger locks you in at 5:30pm so although I would have loved to escape when the going got tough I actually wasn't able to leave at all.)
Aleisha and I lay in the freezing cold on hard ground (and with tummy ache), in a tent, in the pitch dark, all night with critters running around all over the place. I swear I thought I was going to die. If it hadn't been for Aleisha's constant rearrangement of blankets and encouraging words I don't think I could have gotten through it. When she said it was finally morning, it felt like one of the happiest moments of my life!
On balance, it was a complete roller coaster day and I wouldn't change a thing. Next time I think I'll camp when it's a little warmer though...if I ever get brave enough to try again...



No comments:

Post a Comment