Sunday, November 24, 2013

Veteran's Day

During the past 15 years that I have lived here in the States, I have never attended a formal Veteran's Day event:(. So I was really looking forward to attending the ceremony at Madison's school to properly honor our many war veterans who have shaped this country that we are fortunate to be able to enjoy every day.
 
At the beginning of the event, they brought in the kindergarten kids waving flags with one of their teachers dressed as 'Uncle Sam.' It was also Grandparents' Day so it was lovely to watch everyone stretching their necks to get a look at their special little one. It was the first thing that made me tear up when I thought about when Maddy was that little...:)

 
 
The service included a speech from a decorated WWII veteran who shot down Japanese fighter jets. At 91 he was incredibly articulate and inspirational. He said that his two proudest days were: when he was taken to Washington D.C. by an organization who are dedicated to honoring WWII veterans and the second was today:).
 
And then Maddy came onto the stage with her class to dance to "Bandstand." [At the far left on the back row]. She looked so happy and vibrant with her new classmates in her beautiful new school. I am so happy for her that she has access to such a bright future...
 
 
At the end of the ceremony, we honored vets from all branches of the military and had members from the audience stand up. It made me think about the people that I pass by every day - at the store, at the mall, at work... These amazing people are everywhere and have made such sacrifice for our country.
 

It was a really powerful event for me and I learned a lot too. Feeling very grateful :)

No comments:

Post a Comment