Saturday, April 25, 2015

Non-Disney Theme Parks for a change :)

This month we actually bought annual passes for Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure for the first time since we arrived in Florida over 15 years ago! We've been only a handful of times lately and I really wanted to see the new Harry Potter expansion that I've heard so much much fuss about :). They've done a beautiful job of the whole area - the attention to detail is just extraordinary...

 

I was feeling brave so we started out in IOA and I actually did the Forbidden Journey ride! I was really nervous but it was amazing - one of the best attraction experiences I've ever had! 

 

Then we took the fantastic Hogwart's Express over to see the Universal Studios side...


Unbelievable - just as she described in the books!

 
 

Now this is more my era...;)

 

We also had Gatorland on our massive (and ever-growing) Funday Sunday list. I had heard from my photography teacher that they had tons of nesting birds there but we were all a bit apprehensive about how well they treated the animals since we had heard they had several 'interactive' shows and experiences which we are not really fans of in general. We looked online and talked about it and decided in the end to give it a go with an open mind and judge for ourselves.

Gatorland has been open since 1949 and the entryway is pretty famous on the 'roadside attractions' circuit apparently...


The gators looked healthy and well taken care of for the most part. They seem to choose sleeping all over each other even though there's plenty of space!


And for some reason the birds aren't bothered by them (or the Guests) at all. They just seem to wander around as if they own the place!

 

Some of the gators are huge! Evidently Gatorland rescue many from illegal trappers - but I would have liked to have seen more educational information about that and some of the rescue stories...


The bird nesting area blew my mind - I have never seen so many (and rare) wading birds as close up. We saw their eggs hatching and the moms feeding their babies all within a few feet. 


They have some interesting captive birds too...


Now the 'wrestling' show was definitely not my kind of thing. I wouldn't say it was cruel exactly - just a bit unnecessary. On the positive front - I do know a whole lot more about how to handle a gator now!


They have four extremely rare 'leucistc' gators with a special habitat since the sunlight would severely harm them if they were not in captivity...


And there is a beautiful board walk area full of trees too - we saw a cottonmouth...


Some of the other theme parks are fun but my heart will always be with Disney (since I met Mike there of course:)) and my first memory of Orlando was the dancing fountain at Epcot. No matter how often we visit, I always smile when I see it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment